Memorial Day Weekend

Well, I hope everyone had an excellent Memorial Day Weekend, for the most part we had some great weather.  Sunday we had a boatload of divers from D.D. Dive in Glenview.  We met early at 0700 so that we could be the first on the Mack, as it was a holiday weekend.  Well the Lake was sweet as she could be. Wind out of the southeast at 3kts, 0 seas, sunny skies, air temp 77F & surface water 63F.  After clearing the mouth of the harbor I went up to speed (15kts) and we were tied into the bow of the Mack by 0830.  Our divers, all in wetsuits were ready to go diving so they hit the water.  After 30 minutes, the divers returned and reported +50 foot of viz and temps around 48F.  This was the first dive on the Mack for everyone in the group except their group leader, Ewa.  While they were down another vessel had tied up to us, so as the Mack was getting crowded we decided to dive the Wells Burt.  We took a nice leisurely 8kt cruise over to the Wells as we ate WCD pineapple.  One of my good friends now refers to the R/V Aquatica as the “Pineapple Express”, might  be time for a name change?

Once at the Wells site we located the bow with the sidescan and within 3-minutes Divemaster Mike had our new mooring line secured and I was tying us in.  Mike reported 30FT Viz and no discernable thermocline, ie water temp. 63F top-to-bottom.  Our divers got ready and explored Chicago’s #2 shipwreck.  Great dives were had by all.  We had a nice cruise back to the harbor.

A couple of other updates:

  1. Saturday’s Charter with the UASC to survey the Flora Hill still has a couple of openings.  If you aren’t a member of the UASC you can still dive with us.  The plan is 2 dives on the Flora Hill and if we get some divers outside the group I will through in another dive on the Illinois or Wings.
  2. Sunday morning we are full but I have an afternoon charter (2PM)  that has 2 spots available.  We will depart from Wilmette Harbor, so for all you northsiders this is a great opportunity to dive with wcd and avoid the downtown parking issues.  The plan is the Mack and maybe the Wells or the St. Mary, I’ll let the group decide.
  3. Support for the Buccaneer Project.  Last week I sent out an email looking for cash contributions.  I have heard back from quite a few of you but not as nearly as many as I need.  The bottom line is this.  I have state and federal approval to sink this ship, but I can’t get it from where it is at to its final resting place without your help!  If we can’t raise the funds to pay for the tow then all is lost and the boat will be sold for scrap and we divers lose.  Please contact me to make a donation.